Tuesday, 17 July 2012

Moved Wards

I’ve moved wards. I am now off the intensive care unit. After 6 and half months they have moved me to the acute/treatment ward. Can’t say I am actually that happy about it as the ward they have moved me to is one I worked on quite regularly before I went travelling a couple of years back.

But, I am trying to see the positives. It is a lot quieter and I have left some right dickheads behind from the other ward. The negatives are that I will miss some of the staff quite a lot as I got on really well with some of them and will miss their company. With some of them there was more than that patient/nurse relationship. Well, I felt there was anyway. Some of them even said that they didn’t see me as a patient and they saw me more as one of them. Probably why they took me to the pub. I suppose most of the time, in terms of a PICU patient I was an easy person. OK, this last month hasn’t been the best and they restrained me and a self-harmed a number of times. But the majority of the time I didn’t cause any problems.

So hopefully I should only be in hospital a few more weeks. Then I can get on with some serious planning of my around Asia travels for next April time. Planning on 3 months around Asia. I want to go to China for sure but not decided on where else. I have done Thailand a couple of times and quite recently as well as Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos so I am not sure where else to go. Any one got any ideas? I was thinking of Tokyo for maybe 4-5 nights but the rest of Japan doesn’t really interest me, and it is too expensive. I am doing the trip on a budget of about £170 per week so I need to be careful and plan it well.

GOOD NEWS ALERT: -

Just had review with doctor and have planned a discharge date of 2 weeks today on the 31 st of July. I was told 4-6 weeks by PICU doctor but it seemed as though I managed to talk the talk and get what I wanted today. I should get leave also before getting out so I’ll be able to go home before the discharge date. I’m buzzing, but I am also really nervous about it all. I mean, I have now been in hospital 8 months, by the time I am discharged it will practically be a year bar the 4 weeks I was out in October last year. I need to think how I am going to do things differently. If I end up in hospital again, I am likely to end up in a low secure place. Not what I want and I have been told it’s not what would be best for me either but that they would have no other choice.

So my plans are to take a year out from uni (again), but this time, it’s a positive year out. It’s my decision. I have plans for the year. Well, 3 months of it. But before I go I have the motivation of going to keep me well and focussed and after I get back I will be going to uni quite soon after I get back and will have my dissertation to be working on. I’ll start work on it before I go and I will need to look at doing some volunteering or courses that I would enjoy doing to keep me busy so I don’t get into a bad routine. I need to ensure I keep a routine. I know that not doing causes problems for me. The last thing I want is to have planned a trip, have booked flights and paid for them to end up in hospital again. I have my worries. I am not sure if I can do it. But I am going to give it my best shot. I really am. That's all I can do really!
Xxx

3 comments:

Mr Entrail said...

They took you to the pub?! I am certain that is not allowed, particularly on PICU.

Reagan said...

Hi! Great site! I'm trying to find an email address to contact you on to ask if you would please consider adding a link to my website. I'd really appreciate if you could email me back.

Thanks and have a great day!

Golden Psych said...

Yeah, they took me to the pub. Probably not allowed, but they did and I wasn't going to say no. I was always well behaved, except the night of my birthday but that was probably something to do with the bottle of vodka consumed that my friends snuck in for me. I just had the piss taken out of me for it after.
The staff on the ward were really laid back and as long as I posed no risk to myself or others they were happy doing it. I never got trashed, just a couple of wines. So there was never any problem.